Education Benefits for Veterans

The Post 9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2008 (Chapter 33)

You may be eligible if you served at least 90 aggregate days on active duty after September 10, 2001, and you are still on active duty, in the selected reserves, or were honorably discharged from US Armed Forces. Read more >

Yellow Ribbon Program

The Yellow Ribbon GI Education Enhancement Program (Yellow Ribbon Program) is a provision of the Post-9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2008.  This program allows institutions of higher learning (degree granting institutions) in the United States to voluntarily enter into an agreement with VA to fund tuition expenses that exceed the highest public in-state undergraduate tuition rate.  The institution can contribute up to 50% of those expenses and VA will match the same amount as the institution. Read more >

Montgomery G. I. Bill (Chapter 30)

You are eligible if you enlisted after July 1, 1985; served at least 2 years on Active Duty; your pay was reduced by $100 per month for the first 12 months of service; you have an honorable discharge; and you have not passed the 10-year delimiting date.

Montgomery G. I. Bill - Selected Reserves (Chapter 1606)

You are eligible if you incurred a 6-year enlistment in the Selected Reserves or the National Guard after July 1, 1985; completed initial active duty training; are serving in good standing in your unit; and you have not passed the 14-year delimiting date.

Montgomery G. I. Bill - Reserve Education Assistance Program (Chapter 1607)

You are eligible if you were a member of the Selected Reserves or the National Guard and were deployed in a contingency operation for 90 consecutive days or more.

Veteran's Education Assistance Program (Chapter 32) and Vietnam Era G.I. Bill (Chapter 34)

Eligibility depends on the dates of active duty service; amount contributed; and recent VA legislation. Call the VA at 1-888-442-4551 to determine your individual eligibility.

Survivors and Dependents Educational Assistance (Chapter 35)

Dependents of veterans (spouses and children ages 18-26) are eligible if the veteran has a 100% service-connected disability or the veteran's death was service connected.

Vocational Rehabilitation (Chapter 31)

Veterans who suffered a service-connected disability while on active duty and need vocational rehabilitation as a result of their disability (normally 20% or greater) may be eligible for benefits. Contact the VA Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor at the Federal Building, Harrisburg, PA or call (717) 221-3476 or 221-4445.

Tuition Assistance

Members of the Selected Reserves and National Guard and Active Duty personnel may be eligible for tuition assistance from your respective service. Contact your unit of assignment or service education office for eligibility criteria and application forms.

Education Assistance Program (EAP)

Pennsylvania Army National Guard and Pennsylvania Air National Guard members may be eligible for 100% tuition payments for full-time attendance (12 credits or more per semester) or 50% tuition payment for part-time attendance. Contact your unit of assignment for eligibility criteria and application forms.

State Grant for Veterans

Former active duty personnel who have been residents of Pennsylvania for 12 months; have an honorable discharge, be enrolled at least one-half time in an approved program of study of at least two academic years; and not in default of an educational loan may be eligible for the grant. Contact PHEAA at 1-800-692-7392 for additional information and application procedures.

Other Financial Aid

Additional financial aid may be available depending on your need and eligibility in the form of Federal Pell Grants, Federal Stafford Loans, Federal plus Loans, and college-based aid. You must complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to apply for these programs.

VA Benefits

Manor College is committed to providing Veterans and active duty military members with the support and post-secondary education that they desire. 
Veterans educational benefits are provided through the GI bill and administered by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). Eligibility for VA benefits is determined by a student’s time of enlistment.  The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs will determine final eligibility for each individual student.  As a prospective student if you have any questions we highly recommend you reach out to your regional VA office by calling 1-800-827-1000.  Students can also reach out to our Financial Aid Department and they can assist a student through the process of applying for veterans benefits. 

How to Apply

Students receiving VA benefits must be enrolled in a degree-seeking program in order for Manor College to certify and apply a VA students benefits to their tuition bill.  VA students should follow the steps listed below:

  • Contact the VA directly to determine eligibility by calling 1-888-442-5441.
  • You may also go to and apply directly on the VA’s website.
  • Once you have completed the process; the VA will send you a certificate of eligibility which will state the percentage of tuition and fees the VA will cover as well as the length of time.
  • Provide a copy of the certificate of eligibility to our Director of Financial Aid, Chris Hartman via email  or in person at our Financial Aid Office.  Please contact Chris with any questions, 215-885-2360 ext. 208.

Chapter 33:   Post 9/11 GI Bill

If you have at least 90 days of aggregate active duty service after Sept. 10, 2001, and are still on active duty, or if you are an honorably discharged Veteran or were discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days, you may be eligible for this VA-administered program. Whether you want to apply your GI Bill benefits to college classes or an on-the-job training program, the GI Bill Comparison Tool will help you make the most of them. 

If you have eligibility for the Post-9/11 GI Bill and any other GI Bill program you must make an irrevocable election of the Post-9/11 GI Bill before you can receive any benefits. For more information see our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ).

Yellow Ribbon Program

The Yellow Ribbon Program is an extension of the Chapter 33: Post 9/11 bill, for the 2016/17 academic year; this gives a school the ability to match a student’s benefits once a student uses their required VA benefits cap of $21,970 for the current academic year. 

Chapter 35: Survivors and Dependents Educational Assistance Program (DEA)

The DEA program is designed to assist a surviving spouse or child of a veteran who is permanently and totally disabled due to a service-related condition; or who died in service; or who died of a service-connected disability; or who died while evaluated as having total and permanent service-connected disability; or who is listed as a POW or MIA. For more information please visit

Chapter 31: Vocational Rehabilitation Education Program (VR&E)

Vocational Rehabilitation is designed to assist a veteran who has a service related disability.  To qualify a student must meet with their local VRC (vocational rehabilitation counselor) to determine eligibility.  To find your local office please contact the VA at 1-800-827-1000.

Chapter 30: Montgomery GI Bill

The Montgomery GI Bill is for active duty members who enrolled after July 1st, 1985. Service members must contribute $100 per month for 12 months and are then entitled to receive a monthly education benefit once they have completed a minimum service obligation. For more information please visit


Many of these programs may be utilized concurrently to provide substantial aid in completing a degree at Manor College, America’s Premier Catholic Two-year College.