About Dental Hygiene
A dental hygienist is a licensed dental professional specializing in preventive oral care.
As an integral member of the dental team, the dental hygienist utilizes critical thinking skills and applied technical skills in providing the following services to dental patients:
- Assessing general & oral health status
- Performing oral cancer & blood pressure screening
- Exposing, processing & interpreting dental x-rays
- Removing hard & soft deposits from teeth
- Performing initial periodontal therapy
- Applying preventive agents -- fluoride & dental sealants
- Placing and removing temporary fillings and periodontal dressings
- Polishing & recontouring amalgam fillings
- Removing sutures
- Providing oral health care education
- Providing dietary analysis & counseling
- Administering local anesthesia and topical anesthetic agents
A career in Dental Hygiene provides the opportunity for flexible work hours, attractive income potential, a pleasant work environment and the opportunity for professional advancement.
Licensed Dental Hygienists may find employment in a variety of settings, including private dental practices, school systems, community health programs, hospitals, military facilities and other patientcare facilities.
Dental Hygiene is offered as a full-time only program.